VAS European Training Centres Validation to obtain the UEMS Accreditation
European Training Centres in Angiology/Vascular Medicine.
The project combines the experience which was already widespread during the early years of coordinating European activities as the European Working Group in MA (during which Teaching Centres were selected according to published criteria) with UEMS guidelines on the definition of obtaining Training Centres recognised at European level.
During their Board Meetings, VAS and the UEMS Division of A/VM in December 2011 and 2012 have agreed on the process that will regulate the Validation, Certification and Accreditation of individual European Training Centres.
The characteristics of European Training Centres were also approved complying with European characteristics and training programmes for Angiology/Vascular Medicine. In this sense it is possible and desirable that Centre applying for Accreditation receives an indication to cooperate with smaller Angiology/Vascular Medicine Centres or with Centres/Units of other Specialties (of course consistent with the purposes and the training curriculum) to expand the training offer.
Who Can Apply?
- Where a National Accreditation exists, National Scientific Societies should cooperate sending the list of the Centres.
- The single Centres, through the Director, can forward the Application.
- Any communication/Application should be sent to the VAS ETC Validation Committee Chairperson filling this form: Form. Read more here: Application Detailed File
Which are the first steps to take towards Certification and then Accreditation?
- Accreditation will be give by to the Board of the UEMS Division of Angiology/Vascular Medicine
- VAS, acting in the name of the UEMS Division of Angiology/Vascular Medicine, will Validate the fulfilment of criteria (see pag 29-30 of the published Document). The VAS ETC Validation Committee takes care of the process.
- Centres applying for Accreditation could receive, during the Validation process, indication to cooperate with smaller Angiology/Vascular Medicine Centres or Centres with other Specialist structures (consistent with the purpose and the training curriculum) to expand the training offer. The Validation process that leads to Accreditation does not represent in any way an evaluation on the quality of the Centre, but follows criteria of harmonisation and qualification process at European level as described above. Where National Accreditation exists, National Scientific Societies could cooperate by sending the list of the Centres operating in their territory (see Chapter 6).
- In the next step, the Validation report file will be submitted for final Accreditation to the Board of the UEMS Division of Angiology/Vascular Medicine.
Approved Integration for the first Transition Period
- Following the ETR Document both “ the Programme Director…and…the Educational Supervisor must be certified in Angiology/Vascular Medicine (Specialty or CESMA-UEMS European Diploma). To simplify the first phase of application, the UEMS Division approved during its 2018 annual Meeting, to allow the Directors and the main Tutor of the Centres (that have applied as a ETC ) to apply with her/his CV for the UEMS Diploma without going through the CESMA-UEMS Exam. This Transition Period will be completed by the 2024.
Training Requirements for Angiology/Vascular Medicine European Standards of Postgraduate Medical Specialist Training (old chapter 6)
VAS ETC Validation Committee
The Chairperson of the VAS ETC Validation Committee is Mary-Pula Colgan, representing the Committee both inside of the VAS Advisory Board as well as the UEMS Division for Angiology/Vascular Medicine