Welcome to VAS-European Independent Foundation in Angiology/ Vascular Medicine
VAS is a European Scientific non-profit Foundation whose mission is to contribute to the development of Angiology/ Vascular Medicine (Angiology and Vascular Medicine are synonyms used in different Countries), in multi-center co-operation amongst clinicians and researchers throughout Europe and Worldwide. The final aim of VAS is the fight against Vascular Disease for its prevention and control for the benefit of patients and the society.VAS is determined to achieve high Quality results with Independence from any economic interest and enabling Collaboration amongst its members. The triad Research – Education – Clinical Practice has been at the core of VAS culture right from its inception, to exploit the synergy between education and research and ensure the timely implementation of results in clinical practice.
More than 20 years of qualified, independent collaboration with Membersfrom 23 European Countries and Worldwide :
- Supporting growth and scientific training – through specific European programmes – for researchers, physicians and healthcare personnel who will be able to provide qualified research and effective and advanced care in Angiology/ Vascular Medicine;
- Promoting and organising European vascular research projects in the vascular field independently from any economic interests;
- Developing interest in European and national institutions to obtain recognition for Angiology and Vascular Medicine;
- Promoting the development of scientific and clinical Angiology/ Vascular Medicine Centres at international level, particularly in Europe, with a stable cooperation with emerging countries;
- Guaranteeing vascular patients the right to complete and qualified care;
- Creating increased awareness of vascular disease, of the prevention of risk factors among the patients and the public at large;
- Close co-operation with Universities, Hospitals, UEMS, International and National Scientific Societies, the World Health Organisation and the European Union;
- Promoting International Collaborations and Networking in the field of vascular disease and specialty
How VAS-European Independent Foundation in Angiology/ Vascular Medicine Works?
- VAS is a non-profit making scientific Foundation.
- VAS is a co-operative undertaking among clinicians and researchers for developing Angiology/Vascular Medicine.
- In addition to individuals, public institutions can be members of VAS foremost Universities and Hospitals with clinical and research structures involved in vascular projects.
- VAS Bodies are : VAS Board, VAS Advisory Board (including few Representatives of the mains Partner Societies), VAS Committees (including Teams and Working Groups), VAS-International Consortium and VAS Ethic&Guarantors Committee (independent evaluations). VAS Foundation has a Statute and a Ethic Commitment Document (published in the VAS European Book).
- VAS has also VAS Reference Centres in each Country, an European Teaching Panel. VAS Awards( both Training as well as Honorary).
- The purpose of VAS is to join forces, forging close links and agreements with scientific societies and journals in the vascular field, so as to promote continuous co-ordination of all efforts and activities as well as exchanges of information.
- VAS also includes vascular patients organised in a dedicated Network, being coordinated and support the increase of public awareness with reference to vascular diseases and risk factors.
- VAS welcomes the help of artists and journalists willing to co-operate in spreading information to increase public awareness and support its ideas and objectives.
- There are no membership fees, but collaboration is requested.
Relevant results, some even changed the future of Angiology/ Vascular Medicine, through Quality/ Independence/ Collaboration :
- The creation of the embryo of European collaboration in Milan in ‘91 as the European Working Group on Medical Angiology which in ’98 became VAS-Vascular-Independent Research and Education-European Organisation;
- Critical Leg Ischemia Prevention Study (CLIPS) . First independent research project- .J Intern Med 2007
- Obtained approval from the UEMS Council to activate the UEMS Division of Angiology/ Vascular Medicine (2008);
- Obtained and promoted the UEMS European Diploma in Angiology/ Vascular Medicine (through the CESMA-UEMS European Exam in Angiology/ Vascular Medicine organized by BEEAVM) (2012);
- Organisation of European Educational Programmes with formal agreements with several European Universities/Organisations (European Master in Angiology/ Vascular Medicine, Postgraduate Courses) (starting from 2005);
- Signed an Agreement for a Priviledged Partership with European Society of Lymphology (ESL)
- Creation of a well qualified VAS European Teaching Panel with various multidisciplinary collaborations;
- Being responsible for UEMS for the Validation of the European Training Centres (necessary for UEMS Accreditation) with the VAS European Training Centres Validation Committeee;
- Creation of the European Biobank of Vascular Diseases, member of the BBMRI
- Giving life to the “ PAD&Vascular European Days” (every year from March 2014);
- Creation of the VAS-International Consortium (VAS-IC) with Universities, Scientific Societes, Organizations at International level 2014
- Signed an Agreement for a EU-USA Priviledged Partership with SVM (Society of Vascular Medicine-USA)
- Call for “No More Vascular Amputations”
- European Book on Angiology/ Vascular Medicine
- VAS has been accepted as a Partner by EPHA (2018)
- Signed an Agreement for a Priviledged Partership with European Society for Microcirculation (ESM)
- New Call for “No More Vascular Ulcers”
- European Training Fellowship (ETF-VAS) both Clinical and/or Research
- European Fellowship of Excellence (EFE-VAS)
- Launch of the PAD International Strategic Network and of the Vascular Medicine/Angiology International Network
- Open a new stable path with the EU Commissions and European Parliament
- 2020 two Honorary International Grants (Prof Gustav Born and Prof Klaus Breddin)