BRIEF PRESENTATION OF THE
VAS-European Biobank on Vascular Disease and Sub-Projects VAS-European Biobank on PAD Patients (EBVD-EBPp) and International on Buerger Patients
The European Biobank on Vascular Diseases and its Sub-project European Biobank on PAD Patients (from here on called EBVD-EBPp) and the one on Buerger Patients are a part of VAS’Research projects on vascular diseases.
The Biobank is part of the BBMRI.
WHAT ARE EBVD PREREQUISITES?
Based on previous experience, the essential prerequisites for a European Vascular Biobank are:
- A close link between clinical needs and research .
- Confidence in the guarantees given to patients, in particular with regard to use of information for research purposes only (VAS has a Guarantors and an Ethics Committee for monitoring its activities).
- Fully centralised organisation (sample storage and shipment, as well as material for the Ethics Committees, forms for Informed Consent already translated into the local languages, and so on), This is taken care of by the Scientific Co-ordination Centre in Milan (Research Center on Vascular Disease).
- Contracts covering co-operation with Service Providers of certified quality. In fact, certified quality for each area not covered by the Network own specific skills.
- All expenses centrally covered (guaranteed by VAS at the start of each project)
- Direct involvement of patients (organised)
WHAT ARE EBVD FEATURES?
Centres’ compliance, quality and ability in recruitments of PAD patients was tested by means of a previous project (called European Databank on PAD patients). More than 3,500 patients were evaluated all over Europe through a questionnaire and standardised procedures.
Based on the above quoted prerequisites and on the results of the previous projects, the EBVD has been thought to meet the characteristics resumed in the following summary:
– a European Biobank;
– part of an independent Foundation, but with close links with the Universities and European bodies
In addition, EBVD grantees:
– tried and tested co-operation among Angiology /Vascular Medicine Centres
– guarantee of quality and consistency between the centres concerning the patients selection, diagnostic criteria and the collection of data (tried and tested in earlier research activities)
– indissoluble link between the biobank and research, and clinical activities and training
– involvement of Patient Groups
Also, EBVD offers:
– a fully centralised organisation and complete meeting of any cost;
– direct follow-up
Finally, EBVD can rely on:
– Ethical guarantees (VAS Ethics Committee and Guarantors Committee, BBMRI, European and National rules/documents)
– Compliance with all the necessary criteria for a Biobank in the vascular area as indicated above
– BBMRI’s network
WHAT DATA ARE SUPPORTING THE EBVD?
Through the surveys we have been able to collect several data stressing the importance of such a Biobank on Peripheral Arterial Disease (PAD) and on Buerger Disease
PAD represents a chronic disease in progressive spreading especially because of the increase of the average age, it also is a high-risk pathology for acute events/mortality, since the very first stages (asymptomatic).
Buerger, a disease of high social and human impact, needs research from etio-pathogenesis to therapy
HOW IS THE BIOBANK ORGANIZED?
VAS is centralised in terms of direction, organisation and coverage of expenses
>Centralisation of the material for submission to local Ethics Committees
>Well-tested training at centres and direct follow-up
Detailed on-line questionnaire at the Vas work portal (accessible with authorised ID’s and passwords for single researchers through VAS’ website).
VAS and the EBVD organisation allow us to grant the patients the anonimity of personal information on three different levels:
– The collecting centre will be able to backtrack the patient having all her information and personal data
– VAS’ headquarter will receive from the collecting centre (if there is not a different agreement, as mentioned before) the samples and the clinical data already anonymised (so personal information confidentiality is totally granted)
– Once stored at the Bio-repository the sample is only associated to a barcode which allows the trackability of the sample but no clinical nor personal information are sent to the Bio-repository.
HOW TO JOIN – VAS European Vascular Biobank & EBVD?
Interested Centres, Clinicians or Researcher can join according to the following instruction.
If you do not have any samples from vascular patients yet:
– by joining VAS
– by joining EBVD-EBPp project. See our application
If you already have any samples from vascular patients:
– by writing directly to the Scientific Coordinator, in order to compare methodologies, criteria and visions. Once the due agreements are reached, VAS usually proposes two different ways to collaborate:
- the samples and related data are sent to the centralized Biobank in Milan;
- the samples are kept at the original Biobank/Institution in your Country/Town and the related data are shared;
- differents agreements can be reached based on each case’s necessity.
In any case, joining the project, the samples (independently from their physical location) will be assumed and become part of the VAS-Biobank.
WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO ONCE I HAVE JOINED THE PROJECT?
– Get access (ID & password) from VAS to the online reserved areas;
– Conform to VAS’ methodologies;
– Recruit of PAD-patients and Controls;
– Questionnaire file;
– Blood-collection through the supplied kit and according to the given instruction;
– Shipment of the sample by means of a currier supplied directly from VAS on simple request;
All costs will be met by VAS, no fees are to be paid by the collaborators.
WHAT CAN I FIND AT THE EBVD?
– Detailed anonymous data of Patients and Controls;
– Stocking of:
- Whole Blood
– Qualified Clinical Research Centres
– Educational and Training Activities
– Support and access to Worldwide Researches
IS THE COLLABORATION LIMITED TO EUROPE?
VAS is mainly European, but cooperate as a Worldwide organisation: in continuous agreements with non-European Centres, considered fundamental for the development of training and research.
This collaboration works also on VAS-Vascular European Biobank and on EBVD-EBPp.
Criteria to participate are the same here above mentioned.
HOW CAN I KNOW MORE?
Learn more abour our practices, policies and regulations:
Biobank RegulationMaterial Transfer Agreement
Informative to Informed Consent
Or Contact us and ask us anything